Re: [Exim] Using AMaViS configuration help

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Richard Gilbert
CC: Philip Hazel, Peter Burgess, Iain Gray, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Using AMaViS configuration help
On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:57:21PM +0100, Richard Gilbert wrote:
> I have now got this working on a test mail hub. Was it the basic cost of
> scanning all messages for viruses which concerned you, or were you
> referring to the additional resource implications of the way exiscan goes
> about it?

Scanning all messages? Surly you don't want to do that! All virii need
to be passed as attachement, thus only the ones that contain
attachements need to be scanned. Something you can set up in a global
filter file without hassle.

In fact the best architecture would be to have a director forwarding all
mails contiansing attachements to fallback servers that will scan the
mail. Make those boxes big and memory and CPU as well as basic IO --
something that I have yet to see ;>

As for exiscan, I think it will work well on small systems. However, as
it is written in PERL, it will not scale and therefore is of limitted
use.

--
        Please use PGP when replying to this message
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer