Re: [Exim] Using AMaViS configuration help

Author: Tom Kistner
To: Richard Gilbert
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Using AMaViS configuration help
On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:57:21PM +0100, Richard Gilbert (R.Gilbert@???) wrote:

> > > I have just found this utility "exiscan" - I haven't tried it, but it
> > > looks promising.
> > >
> > >            http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/

> > That is quite a cunning approach. I wonder about the resource cost,
> > though.
>
> I have now got this working on a test mail hub. Was it the basic cost of
> scanning all messages for viruses which concerned you, or were you
> referring to the additional resource implications of the way exiscan goes
> about it?

let me just comment on this (i'm the author of exiscan).

while other virus scanning solutions make the MTA deliver the message to a
pipe and the resend the message, exiscan is transparent to the MTA.

this means that with exiscan, the MTA has to send each message only once.
with other virus scanners, each message is sent twice.

so we talk of about 50% reduced load in comparison to other virus scanners.

also, resending the message ruins the envelope-to and thus causes all kinds
of funky problems with CCs and BCCs (some people get mails twice etc.).

i will put out a 0.7 release in short time which adds additional security
and sender notification (i never liked that, but multiple people
requested it) :)

regards,

        tom

--