Re: [Exim] Mailing lists

Author: Dave C.
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: davidturetsky, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mailing lists
On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> A lot of what you appear to be trying to do is *firmly* in the context
> of an MUA like pine, mutt or exmh/mh.
>

> davidturetsky@??? said:
> > Do I understand correctly that with aliases exim substitutes the items
> > on the list for the alias and sends the exploded distribution to the
> > server, each recipient on the distribution able to view the
> > distribution unless 'Bcc:'; with Dave's script, the list is sent to
> > the server to distribute and each recipient only sees the post with
> > their address on the 'To:' line
>
> Nope.
>
> If you use an alias, you will send a mail that looks like:-
>     From: <you@yourdomain>
>     To: <alias@yourdomain>
>     Subject: .... etc

> and thats what your recipients will get - ie they will just see the
> alias name and not the list of recpients. However they will be able to
> copy replies to that alias and get all the recipients unless you have
> jumped through hoops to stop that.

Recall that he doesnt actually have a local domain, so the alias will
probably be in a localhost.localdomain, so this probably wont hold
true..

Given this, and a possible per-message-recipient limit imposed by hist
smarthost, a somewhat more complex script thatn mine might be in
order....

David, you really should find a local unix/email guru who can help you
a bit more directly with this...