Re: [Exim] Mailing lists

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: davidturetsky
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mailing lists
A lot of what you appear to be trying to do is *firmly* in the context
of an MUA like pine, mutt or exmh/mh.

davidturetsky@??? said:
> Do I understand correctly that with aliases exim substitutes the items
> on the list for the alias and sends the exploded distribution to the
> server, each recipient on the distribution able to view the
> distribution unless 'Bcc:'; with Dave's script, the list is sent to
> the server to distribute and each recipient only sees the post with
> their address on the 'To:' line

Nope.

If you use an alias, you will send a mail that looks like:-
    From: <you@yourdomain>
    To: <alias@yourdomain>
    Subject: .... etc

and thats what your recipients will get - ie they will just see the
alias name and not the list of recpients. However they will be able to
copy replies to that alias and get all the recipients unless you have
jumped through hoops to stop that.

If you use the BSMTP method then the headers can be hacked how you
like, and there is no record of the recipients in the headers other
than what you put in.

> I recall an exim feature permitting some limit to be expressed on a
> single 'batch' of addresses. Can such a feature (or similar) be used
> to break up a long list which alias maps into if msn imposes a
> server-side maximum (as they do using Outlook Express-- I don't know
> whether it is only enforced on the client side, or both client and
> server) of 64 addresses to a post

This is not really a header issue... you don't want to put lists like
this into headers.... it can be a real breach of privacy apart from
anything else.

Most MUAs allow you to have address book entries, which may well
include lists of people and the MUA may (either configurably or by
default) hide the recipient list or expose it in the headers.

    Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]