Re: [Exim] Problem with -Meb environment being destroyed

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problem with -Meb environment being destroyed
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> probably said:
> I thought "Exim doesn't use any environment variables, so it's safe". I
> completely forgot about EDITOR and VISUAL. Sigh. Exim is getting too
> big, or maybe my brain is just fading. Again. :-)
>
> My immediate reaction to this is to back off the destroying of the
> environment, especially since it works only for some operating systems
> (in the others it forces GMT rather than wallclock time). Or maybe it
> should not be the default?
>
> You can compile Exim without it already, by putting
>
> #define HANDS_OFF_ENVIRONMENT
>
> in the OS/os.h-xxxx file, where xxxx is your operating system. Or just
> patch the source, of course.
>
> Another alternative, is to avoid destroying the environment specifically
> in the -Meb case. (And any others which are relevant.) Maybe that makes
> more sense.
>
> Thanks for the report. I will do something about it in due course.

My suggestion would be, as usual, somewhat more complicated.

I'd rather have a set list of entries from the enviroment that are read[1]
before the enviroment is trashed, trash the enviroment and then place
that specific list back again.

The things I'd like to see are at least VISUAL, EDITOR and DISPLAY,
for -Meb (and otehr editor cases), but making it a compile time option
would be good ...

\pir

[1] and read to a fixed length limit, to prevent overflow possibilities

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???