Re: [Exim] not kidding: filtering and German laws :|

Author: V. T. Mueller
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] not kidding: filtering and German laws :|
On Mon, 22 May 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> vtmue@??? said:
> > Now there appears to be only one solution that could help M$ users
> > without exposing the sysadmin to the danger of getting jailed
>
> There is a better solution.
> Bounce the message, with information on why it was bounced. The the
> original sender can make arrangements to send a clean copy.

Howdy.

You mean bouncing the mail back to the original sender? Prohibited by
German law: if you receive a mail and you have the technical ablility to
deliver it, then you will have to deliver it.

> BTW has this law been tested... say on MS-Exchange servers which add an
> extra newline to the end of a message, or most mbox based systems where
> a leading From on a line gets escaped??

These are either standard-based or do not really change information. If
there would be a standard for filtering mail, it would be in tune with our
laws. Btw, this is the only reason why (if definitely) the use of RBLs is
legal in Germany. Additionally, our laws do make a difference between end
users and service providers. As a service provider, you are allowed if not
encouraged to deny spam mail or mail bombs since those could affect your
technical ability to provide certain services (which would affect a couple
of or all users). If you are asked to transport information and you can
guess that this information will harm the recipient's system(s) - that's
'not your job', you've got to pass that information on untouched once
you've accepted it for delivery.

From a certain point of view this indeed makes sense.

Anyways, has anyone something to start from (for delaying a filtered mail
while generating a warning mail) or do I have to start from scratch?

Any hint is appreciated

Volker
--
V. T. Mueller      UCC Freiburg, Germany      vtmue (at) uni-freiburg.de

"Never send a human to do a machine's job"       Agent Smith, The Matrix