Re: [EXIM] Manpages for Exim ?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chris Faehl
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Manpages for Exim ?
> On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Chris Faehl wrote:
>
> >    I'd be willing to write a man page for exim. Would you be willing
> > to accept it and distribute it (assuming what I produce isn't total
> > garbage)?

> I'd certainly put it in the (newly invented) Contrib directory on the
> ftp site. Not so sure about putting it in the distribution, since there
> would be the problem of keeping it up-to-date.
>
> Could I ask what the reason is that people specifically want the
> information in man page format? And indeed, which subset of the
> information?

Man pages are the Way to Unix Mastery. Man pages are convenient, whereas
trying to find the specific information I want in 100+ pages of paper
is not (not to mention the fact that I lose paper manuals, not to
mention the fact that I'm not wild about killing more trees than I need
to...).

A good exim man page should contain locations of files, descriptions of
command line switches, a brief overview of how exim works, and pointers
to appropriate sections of the (excellent, may I add) off-line documentation,
and a few caveats detailing known problems. It should not attempt to
cover configuration options. The section you have on 'The Command Line' is
most of what the man page should be.

> --
> Philip Hazel                   University Computing Service,
> ph10@???             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
> P.Hazel@???          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714

Chris Faehl                  | Email: cfaehl@???
The University of New Mexico          | URL:   http://www.cs.unm.edu/~cfaehl
Computer Science Dept., Rm. FEC 313   | Phone: 505/277-3016
Albuquerque, NM  87131  USA           | FAX:   505/277-6927