Re: [exim] Archiving Problems

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Archiving Problems
Dean Bishop wrote:
> W B Hacker wrote:
>
> Exim can tell - or be allowed to find out - the difference.
>
> Hmmmm....
>
> Okay you've dragged me back in :)
> The difference between what? I've looked at the archived messages and they are identical.
> They are both being sent from the same machine (so local-to-local) and are from the same sender. Even the messageID is the same.
>
> You have me intrigued though. Can you explain what you mean?
>
> Thanks,
> dean

It can tell - or be told - if the destination is local. Including aliases.

You'll want multiple, separate, bespoke, and *simple* archiving routers
for just about every one of the possible cases.

That way the logic stays clear enough to not drive you bonkers a year
out when you go to do maintenance and forget why and how a smaller count
of routers with more complex logic per each were to do something.

WAY easier to re-arrange their firing order and easier to test as well.

'unseen' can handle very long chains...

ISTR we used a many as 7 or 8 such per 'set', when we were doing complex
archiving, but only those that made SQL calls were more than a few lines
long.

Actually, the SQL calls fit on one line each as well - but line-breaking
'em in apprppriate places made those easier to grok as well as fitting
an ssh'ed terminal width.

Much of what I do is aimed at ease of maintenance for my aged 'wetware'.
~/configure files have often run to 3,500 lines... But Exim doesn't
complain.

Bill
--
韓家標