Re: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations

Autor: Ted Cooper
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations
On 02/06/11 12:30, Dave Pooser wrote:
>> I see simply no use of IMAP in this particular user base.
>
> None of your users has a smartphone or a tablet?
> None is likely to in the near future?
>
> Frankly, I'd be using IMAP if the only advantage it offered was "message
> is read on phone, message shows as read on desktop." Add in the backup
> capability and it's a no-brainer IMHO. Disk is cheap, email is priceless.

I rent servers and bandwidth in Australia; Land of the price gouge. Disk
is not cheap.

After reviewing user behaviour, I found no instances of users enjoying
the benefits of IMAP in any way. Your example, while useful, was never
enjoyed by anyone. I could provide a zillion more, but again, not used.

I still provide IMAP on a different server if someone wants it, and
advertise this fact in the instructions for POP. No takers yet. If I
ever get a user out of this particular user base that wants such
functionality because they are technologically literate enough to know
they need or want it, I have them covered.

Unfortunately, this is one of those things, like so many, where a
different collection of users have different requirements. I do already
have other groups of users who do take advantage of IMAP, but they are
not on these servers or from the same source.

Anyway, this is _severely_ off topic for Exim now, so I will be stopping
now.

Fin.