Re: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations

Autor: Mark Elkins
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations
On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 10:38 +1000, Ted Cooper wrote:
> On 01/06/11 01:35, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> > In particular, it may be that mail in TRASH and SENT is evidence that
> > a user is using IMAP properly. For example, they may regard sent mail
> > as more important than received, and they may value having access to
> > TRASH from various clients.
>
> They're not being used. None of the users have any idea what the
> difference is between the protocols. As I said, not a single person
> purposefully installed IMAP, it's just the people with Thunderbird that
> have it configured. Even the person screaming has no idea what it's
> capable of, just that someone told them it was "newer". They have no
> evidence of using it either.

(really off topic - but..)

I'd assume that some people access the mail service using a Laptop.
As soon as that device is stolen or broken beyond repair and all the
'pop-ed' e-mail is lost - and backups are not quite as up to date as
they should be - and the e-mail from last week outlining some
multi-million contract is now lost....
...with a new laptop and iMAP - all the mail is still there.

I'm one of those perverse people who has three laptops, iPad and Smart
phone - and a fixed work station. iMAP means I have the same e-mail on
all devices - and as 'SENT' is shared - all my sent email is available
on all machines. Couldn't live without it.

OK - I run an ISP - and really do prefer if customers POP their e-mail -
so I no longer have to look after it. Accounts with different sized
mailboxes and running both protocols just works for me. I'd suggest not
putting any artificial technology restrictions before them, allow them
to develop and grow "towards freedom" - and appreciate you as their
administrator all the more.

Buy your wife an iPad, set up her e-mail accounts to use iMAP on both
her existing device and on the iPad then after a month - try and take
the iMAP facility away from her.... :-)

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje@???  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE