Re: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations

Autor: Steinar Bang
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations

> we are planning out a new setup for our server (based at home via
> cable with only a few users and not a lot of email - but with multiple
> virtual domains).

Pretty much the same as my old setup. I transitioned to a VM in the
cloud last year, to avoid having to leave it on when leaving on vacation
(I worry about thunderstorms and the like).

> for 6+ years we've used imap (postfix and dovecot) and it's been very
> nice!

I've been using sendmail and cyrus, then (after moving from SuSE to
debian in 2001) exim and cyrus, and finally exim and dovecot.

After all the years of cyrus, dovecot was really painless.

> however, we're thinking of switching to exim so this is an opportunity
> to rethink things.

[snip!]
> therefore, we're seriously thinking of changing everything to pop and
> forgetting about the next debate dovecot vs courier vs cyrus ...

IMO POP is a mess that's better left on history's scrapheap. Even if
you are just using POP-functionality, IMAP is a better protocol.

But, as another poster pointed out, dovecot supports both, so you don't
really have to make this choice early on.