[exim] imap vs pop contemplations

Autor: prad
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] imap vs pop contemplations
we are planning out a new setup for our server (based at home via cable
with only a few users and not a lot of email - but with multiple virtual
domains).

for 6+ years we've used imap (postfix and dovecot) and it's been very nice!

however, we're thinking of switching to exim so this is an opportunity
to rethink things.

while imap is very nice, we find 2 issues:

1. no one uses imap for it's advantages - eg access is always through
the same computer(s) and people are encouraged download stuff onto their
own machines so as not to clutter up the server. i download my stuff
right way rather than connecting to the imap server via gnus.

2. many people (especially my wife) are too lazy to transfer things from
the server to their machines so i have to chase after them anyway to get
the stuff off (she presently has 2.8G worth stored up there!).

therefore, we're seriously thinking of changing everything to pop and
forgetting about the next debate dovecot vs courier vs cyrus ...

based on the above situation, is going to pop the sensible/simpler thing
to do or are there factors i haven't considered.

i have never tried exim beyond the default configuration on debian on my
personal machine, but i've heard it's very nice and easy to configure
and will be exploring it this week.

--
in friendship,
prad