Re: [exim] "Vista Mail" and errors after DATA

Author: Eli
To: 'Adam D. Barratt', exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "Vista Mail" and errors after DATA
> I can't easily generate debug output at the moment as I haven't had
> chance to set up an appropriate test environment yet. However, if it's
> any help, the relevant ACL snippet is (comments stripped for size
> reasons :):

Hmm, that seems fairly standard (without seeing your macros)... Here is my
config which I have, and have used with MS Mail to send .pdf and .doc type
attachments (I have not sent any .exe's out) should you wish to compare:

http://www.hoktar.com/downloads/gentoo/etc/exim/exim.conf

I have not had any weird behavior from MS Mail that I've noticed, however
one thing does come to mind... If you are using a Firewall/Virus program
(I've only got experience with Norton products), there might be a chance
they have a "hook" for pop3/imap/smtp. I know for a *fact* that Norton
products (Anti-Virus, Online, etc..) have this feature. It gives you an
anti-idle/anti-timeout "upgrade", along with scanning your email and such.
It does so by hooking in to those ports and waiting for MUA traffic - it
then intercepts the data, and does it's own stuff. It could very well be
that you have software of this nature catching your MS Mail commands and
mangling them to the point of breaking them.

Easiest would be to run a 2nd daemon on port 2525 or something in debug
mode, and configure a custom account in MS Mail, send a message and watch
the console to see what commands come in - if you see stuff that doesn't
seem normal (Norton has a habit of connecting, sending commands to verify
the recipient(s), then issuing a RSET and redoing the whole thing, but this
time sending the message).

Eli.