Re: [exim] "Vista Mail" and errors after DATA

Author: Adam D. Barratt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] "Vista Mail" and errors after DATA
Chris Edwards wrote, Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:40 AM
> Adam D. Barratt wrote:
>
> | The Outlook clients fail to deliver the mail and leave it in the user's
> | outbox, displaying the final line of the multi-line error in the
> | progress dialog; the Vista Microsoft Mail client simply moves it to Sent
> | Items with no hint of an error.
>
> And we were soo hoping MS was getting better at handling SMTP errors, not
> worse. Like duh!

[...]
> Anychance vista is not liking the long error message ?

A gold star for Chris and many thanks!

Yes, it would appear that the Vista client is differently broken with
respect to multi-line messages. Outlook only displays the last line, Vista's
Microsoft Mail client just ignores them. A "control =
no_multiline_responses" applied to local hosts early in the ACLs and all is
well.

That actually works better for our MUAs anyway, as the first 70-odd
characters of the message are far more useful for reporting failures than
the last line (which tends to end up being "550-if you believe this to be in
error").

Many thanks for all the suggestions,

Adam