Re: [exim] Referring people to the docs vs. an example

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Referring people to the docs vs. an example
On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 08:19 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> There is a really bad attitude that is developing on this list regarding
> being rude to people with questions.

<snip>
> So people have questions and it isn't helpful when regulars and sysops
> jump in with bad attitude. If the people running this forum were doing
> tech support for a commercial product they wouldn't last a day. I think
> bad attitude is a big turn off to Exim users and why Exim hasn't gained
> the market share that other MTAs have that are clearly inferior.

Marc, if I were "doing tech support for a commercial product" then I
would have a defined service level agreement with my *customers* within
which the expectations and service levels expected by both sides would
be defined. And I'd be getting paid.

In my day job, if someone asks repeated questions that are already
answered elsewhere within some form of documentation then it is my *job*
to tell them to read that documentation - that is a clearly defined
agreement in the contract between customer and supplier. It is then
their responsibility to read it, and to come back and say "well, I read
it, but section 23.2 doesn't make any sense, can you give me some more
assistance please?", at which point most people involved in a customer
service facing role will be only too happy to help.
Customers who insist on repeating questions when they have been told
where to find the answer could find a call coming from their account
manager with some guidance, or even offering to sell a higher level of
service (managed hosting, for example).

If I did a cut'n'paste of a config option with zero context and no
explanation for every query, then I wouldn't expect to last very long.
One has to engage with one's customers, not just direct them to
solutions. It's all about relationships.

What you seem to forget is that this is a *voluntary membership list*.
Every member of this list who posts answers to questions does so in
their own time, for no personal gain whatsoever. The relationship we all
have is a common one, forged by the fact that we use the same software.
There is no duty of care, no responsibility, no defined service level
agreement. Nothing. You can accept people's answers (which will usually
help you), or ignore them (which won't). That's the two choices you
have.

Well, there's a third - start paying people for support. Then you have
them contractually obliged to be nice to you, even if they are having a
bad day. I see "YGWYPF" has already been stated.

I have to apologise to the remainder of the list for perpetuating this
discussion; as you might gather, I feel quite strongly about Marc's
vocal and profligate offering of opinions. I promise I'll try not to
take the bait in future. If I do, I'll take it where no-one else can
see :)

Graeme