Re: [exim] Referring people to the docs vs. an example

Author: Dave Lugo
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Referring people to the docs vs. an example
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, ROGERS Richard wrote:

> Dave Lugo wrote:
> >> So people have questions and it isn't helpful when regulars and
> >> sysops jump in with bad attitude. If the people running this forum
> >> were doing tech support for a commercial product they wouldn't last
> >> a day. I think bad attitude is a big turn off to Exim users and why
> >> Exim hasn't gained the market share that other MTAs have that are
> >> clearly inferior.
> >>

> > You get what you pay for.
>
> Actually I tyhink Exim is worth a lot more than I paid for it.
>
> Also the help I've had here has been worth a lot more too.

Oh, I completely agree! (I was making a round-about comment about
demanding support when no consideration has been given.)

> There's an old saying:
> Give a a man a fish; you feed him for a day
> Teach a man to fish; you feed him for life.

Yup.

> I've always found the regular contributors to this list more than
> helpful in teaching me to fish; that's all I can ask of them

Same here, and I hope the few times I do reply to other folks, my
answers are helpful.

> As someone whose job includes some 2nd/3rd line support,

Ditto.

> I can
> understand their frustration if someone appears to be repeatedly asking
> for fish.

What I don't appreciate, is this forum being treated as chattel by
some posters.

Dave Lugo   dlugo@???    LC Unit #260   TINLC