Re: [exim] Referring people to the docs vs. an example

Author: Marc Perkel
To: John Burnham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Referring people to the docs vs. an example

John Burnham wrote:
>> So people have questions and it isn't helpful when regulars
>> and sysops
>> jump in with bad attitude. If the people running this forum
>> were doing
>> tech support for a commercial product they wouldn't last a
>> day.
>>

> With all due respect, if we were doing tech support for a commercial product
> we'd be getting paid for it. Now that I have that off my chest, can we kill this
> ? I'm fed up with your attitude that pointing people at documentation is rude
> but I realise that I'm not going to convince you that referring people to
> documentation is not rudeness but a simple hope that it will help people MORE in
> the long term. So, let us agree to differ and call it a day, OK ?

What I see happening here a lot is that people will go out of their way
to be rude to someone with a question when it would take less effort to
not respond to the question and let someone else answer it. If your
response isn't going to solve the questioner's problem then why put out
the effort to drive them away with rude non productive answers? It's far
better to be nice to people even if they have a stupid question and even
if it is in the manual.