Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE autotools patch drg3

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
著者: Daniel Richard G.
To: pcre-dev
題目: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE autotools patch drg3
On Wed, 2007 Feb 28 12:23:18 +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> In order to understand the new way of doing things, I studied how it all
> works carefully, in terms of which command generates which files from
> which other files. One thing that bothered me was that the comments in
> config.h.in are also repeated in configure.ac. I then discovered that
> config.h.in is generated from configure.ac by autoheader... BUT ... in
> autogen.sh, the call to autoheader comes after automake.
>
> I looked at a couple of other autogen.sh files that are on my box, and
> in both cases their ordering was autoheader, automake, autoconf.

The reason why I changed that was the observation that when you configure
the package (for the first time) and start the build, the very first thing
that the makefile does is re-run autoheader. This behavior goes away when
autogen.sh invokes autoheader last.

I don't recall ever seeing a "canonical" order for invocation of the
various Autotools programs, but the mark of an incorrect ordering (aside
from an error case) is the Automake-generated rules finishing up the job.

> PROPOSAL: I am happy to take over this patch at this point, apply it to
> my master sources, and proceed to work towards integrating the various
> other issues that I have on my list, including documentation. (I can, of
> course, trivially make the autogen.sh change noted above.) I would hope
> to make a release candidate for 7.1 fairly soon.

For my part, the time is ripe to begin integration, though I'd like to see
Bob sign off on this as well.

Will you be using the new Subversion repository for this work?

--Daniel

--
NAME   = Daniel Richard G.       ##  Remember, skunks       _\|/_  meef?
EMAIL1 = skunk@???        ##  don't smell bad---    (/o|o\) /