Re: [exim] section 351 of the Companies Act 1985 so that web…

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: Andrew Pounce, Brent Clark
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] section 351 of the Companies Act 1985 so that websites and documents, in "electronic or any other form"

--On 11 January 2007 14:30:33 +0000 Andrew Pounce <adp@???> wrote:

> I know that some people are reading into this that it MIGHT be
> acceptable to put the required information in the headers - iirc the
> organisation header.

The text of the 1985 act isn't available online, but the text of section
351 (which now applies to emails) has been posted to the uk-mail-managers
mailing list:

> 351 Particulars in correspondence etc
> (1)     Every company shall have the following particulars mentioned in
> legible characters in all business letters, websites and order forms of
> the company, that is to say-
> (a)     the company's place of registration and the number with which it
> is registered,
> (b)     the address of its registered office,
> (c)     in the case of an investment company (as defined in section
> 266), the fact that it is such a company, and
> (d)     in the case of a limited company exempt from the obligation to
> use the word "limited" as part of its name [under section 30 or a
> community interest company which is not a public company], the fact that
> it is a limited company.

I'd argue that "in legible characters" would be taken to mean that it
should be visible to the recipient without taking special measures. Given
that you don't know which email client the recipient will be using, this
means that the text *must* go into the main message part. In multipart
messages, it should probably go in all text parts.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex