Re: [exim] Limiting incoming connections on a per-domain bas…

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Limiting incoming connections on a per-domain basis
On 9/21/06 1:32 PM, "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@???> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, John Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not sure how this will deal with cases where recipient is in the CC
>>> or BCC though.
>>
>> Well, you could just
>>     deny domains = those_domains
>>          !hosts  = +allowed_hosts

>> but if I understand correctly, that would also stop accepting mail for
>> those_domains from any relay_from_hosts or authenticated users, which
>> may not be the desired effect.
>
> How hard is it to run two instances of exim, each running on a separate IP
> and reading from a different config file? I've run exim for at least 2-3
> years but my config never needs tweaking, so I don't remember if this is
> possible. :)

Yes, it is possible, and we have been doing it since mid 2001 for testing
and since January 2002 for production.

You can either compile two binaries with different baked in config file
paths and spool directory paths, or use one binary and start one of the
instances with the -C command line option to point it to the other config.
We use the single binary with -C, after earlier ventures with two binaries
in another context.

In our case, one instance handles mail from our customers; the other handles
mail from the world. I may coalesce the two instances into one (still with
customers connecting to a different IP than does the world--this makes
things so much simpler) when we redo our servers this fall--or I may not:
it is handy to have separate log directories.

--John