Re: [exim] Why does exim chdir to user's home directory on m…

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
À: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] Why does exim chdir to user's home directory on messagedelivery?
On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 17:39 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> in http://bugs.debian.org/383469, the reporter has noticed that exim
> doesn't deliver e-mail to a user with an inaccessible home directory,
> even if the delivery target is somewhere else, for example in
> /var/spool.
>
> I can reproduce this.
>
> 2006-08-17 17:14:03 1GDjZL-0008M3-Ug == user@??? R=local_user T=mail_spool defer (13): Permission denied: failed to chdir to /home/user
> with /home/user having mode 000.
>
> I am now wondering whether it makes sense (and is desireable) to set
> home_directory = / on our local delivery transports in the Debian
> default config.
>
> Is there a reason why exim's default example configuration doesn't do
> this?

IMHO that would just be cluttering up the configuration file. a home
directory being 000 (or 400) is such a big error that I'd want to be
told about it, anyway. the default configuration also checks for
$HOME/.forward, so it will never get as far as the transport (assuming
$HOME is on NFS, of course).
--
Kjetil T.