Re: [exim] default value seems a big low

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Philip Hazel
À: Peter D. Gray
CC: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] default value seems a big low
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Peter D. Gray wrote:

> I think you should at least consider making the limit 0 by default.

I don't like incompatible changes. The limit was introduced for a reason
(somebody got bitten). I would need a lot of convincing by a lot of
people before I'd feel that it could be changed.

> It seems to me that most (in fact nearly all) of the "rate limiting"
> settings in exim are turned off (eg queue_only_load).

What about these (they are just a few that I found with a quick grep):

|smtp_accept_max|Use: main|Type: integer|Default: 20|
|smtp_connect_backlog|Use: main|Type: integer|Default: 20|
|smtp_max_synprot_errors|Use: main|Type: integer|Default: 3|
|smtp_max_unknown_commands|Use: main|Type: integer|Default: 3|

You are right, though, that there is inconsistency. It's hard to be
consistent. In the case of queue_only_load, I think it might be hard to
pick a number that would be suitable for the huge variety of hardware
configurations that Exim runs on. Maybe. I'm no expert in exactly what
the load value means.