Re: [exim] Why does exim chdir to user's home directory on m…

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Magnus Holmgren
À: exim-users
Sujet: Re: [exim] Why does exim chdir to user's home directory on message delivery?
On Thursday 17 August 2006 17:39, Marc Haber took the opportunity to say:
> Hi,
>
> in http://bugs.debian.org/383469, the reporter has noticed that exim
> doesn't deliver e-mail to a user with an inaccessible home directory,
> even if the delivery target is somewhere else, for example in
> /var/spool.
>
> I can reproduce this.
>
> 2006-08-17 17:14:03 1GDjZL-0008M3-Ug == user@??? R=local_user
> T=mail_spool defer (13): Permission denied: failed to chdir to /home/user
> with /home/user having mode 000.
>
> I am now wondering whether it makes sense (and is desireable) to set
> home_directory = / on our local delivery transports in the Debian
> default config.

On one hand, it doesn't makes sense that an inaccessible home directory stops
delivery to an entirely different place. On the other hand, giving users home
directories they can't access is highly irregular, and so the administrator
can change Exim's configuration himself. For example, the userforward router
in the default configuration assumes, but doesn't require, that the home
directory is accessible.

How about setting the transport's current_directory = / instead?

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@???
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)