Re: [exim] Controlling the number of deliveries

Autor: Steve Sargent
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Controlling the number of deliveries
The requirement is this:-

We have some users who want to send very large volumes of messages to
the entire student population of the college. They would be sending
something like 15,000 messages in one hit.

We are worried that this could be a performance hit on our cetral
relays, so we would like to develop an exim configuration that would act
as a 'bulk submission' service.

It would run on a dedicated server and would operate in this fashion:-

1) queue all messages when first entered:-

queue_bulk:
   driver = redirect
   allow_defer
   condition = ${if and {\
                 { eq {$interface_address} {BULK_INTERFACE}}\
                 { first_delivery }}\
               {true}{false}}
   data = :defer:

2) Allow only one queue runner with only one connection so that all
messages get delivered one at a time via the one connection.

All ok so far, but the problem is that when the queue runner starts up
it trundles through the entire queue, which we would like to avoid. It
would be nice to have an option to tell the queue runner how many
messages to deliver then stop processing the queue, thus by releasing
them in batches in each subsequent queue runner.

Hope I'v managed to explain it a little more clearly. I do realise that
it's a bit of an unusual requirement.

--
Steve Sargent, Vox +44 020 7882 3220, Fax +44 020 8980 2001
QMUL Computing Services, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK

                                 PIPER       _|_
                                 ARROW    e/  o  \e