Re: [exim] Controlling the number of deliveries

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Controlling the number of deliveries
On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 10:34 +0100, Steve Sargent wrote:
> Could this be put on the wish list?

> Tony Finch wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Steve Sargent wrote:
> >
> >>So there is no configuration option to tell the smtp transport to do that?
> >
> > I'm afraid not.

I'm still rather hazy on what you want to end up with - you actually
asked how to achieve a particular result, rather than saying what the
problem was...

If you are trying to restrict the total numbers of SMTP sessions (or
rather delivery sessions) being made simultaneously then thats loosely
handled by restricting the number of queue runners. To do this more
exactly you would need a central co-ordination system, which is not
available within exim - and is directly against one of the central
design constraints.

If you really want to batch stuff in clumps then that is going to be
tricky directly within exim, again because there is no central
co-ordination, and its a really weird requirement.

If you are worried about load, then there are load restrictions on queue
runners available.

Or you could put us out of my misery and tell us what the actual aim
is....

    Nigel.