Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?

Author: Vincent Danen
To: Cliff Pratt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?
* Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet@???> [2006-05-18 17:48:26 +1200]:

> > I swear that I recall exim used to have a --help or equivalent, but when
> > I try to do exim --help or even exim --version I get nothing.
> >
> > Was this removed? I thought I saw it in previous versions, but even
> > 4.54 does the same thing.
> >
> > Sorry if this is a stupid question.
> >
> [me@here ~]# exim --help
> Exim is a Mail Transfer Agent. It is normally called by Mail User Agents,
> not directly from a shell command line. Options and/or arguments control
> what it does when called. For a list of options, see the Exim documentation.

Yeah, no doubt. I saw the exact same thing which is why I asked the
question.

> What do you want to find out? If you are running a unix-type system
> 'man exim' should give you plenty to go on.

And it's also extremely long. I often do things like "foo --help
2>&1|grep something" in order to find the option I'm looking for (ie. i
might like to do "exim --help 2>&1|grep queue" to find out all the
options to manipulate the queue).

The fact that all exim tells me is "options and/or arguments control
what it does when it is called" is... well... painfully obvious without
being helpful at all.

It was just a question because I thought exim used to have something a
little more useful there... maybe I'm wrong.

BTW, I'm not an exim n00b, nor am I an idiot, so the obvious answers
aren't overly helpful.

But thanks for responding regardless.

Maybe I'll just patch exim and add this myself... hmmm...

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"