Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?

Author: Casey Allen Shobe
To: exim-users
CC: Vincent Danen, Cliff Pratt
Subject: Re: [exim] commandline operation? ie. --help gone?
On Thursday 18 May 2006 19:52, Vincent Danen wrote:
> And it's also extremely long. I often do things like "foo --help
> 2>&1|grep something" in order to find the option I'm looking for (ie. i
> might like to do "exim --help 2>&1|grep queue" to find out all the
> options to manipulate the queue).

PAGER=cat man exim | grep whatever.

Or simply /whatever if you use a PAGER such as less, and then you have
context.

> The fact that all exim tells me is "options and/or arguments control
> what it does when it is called" is... well... painfully obvious without
> being helpful at all.

Would you really want hundreds of lines of --help output? Some of the Gentoo
portage commands do this, and I find it irritating. Simple fact is, exim has
many many options.

--
Casey Allen Shobe | cshobe@??? | 206-381-2800
SeattleServer.com, Inc. | http://www.seattleserver.com