Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

On Apr 22, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Jason Meers wrote:

> Your right, it was the Marc Perkel posting that prompted me to post
> however if you look back over the last 4 years, 232 threads contained
> the phrase RTFM, the number of individual posts within these 232
> threads
> will put the RTFM figure much higher.

Another perspective: That is approximately 5 threads a month( 232 /
4 / 12 is slightly less than 5), out of how many threads get started
here each month?

I must say that this list (and most open source "support" mail lists
or forums) are *much* more helpful at me getting my work done than
any support I pay for. There I get some drone at a level 1 support
who reads a canned answer from his list and often I know more about
the product than the support guy who is trying to help me. Trying to
get past these guys is impossible. And when they acknowledge a bug
or flaw in their SW, I have to wait for the next release, often
months away, to see if it got fixed. Anyone who tries and makes the
claim that Open Source community and support is less useful and more
"crap" than the commercial SW vendors are probably trying to sell you
M$ and want your money.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC