Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
Jason Meers wrote:

> Your right, it was the Marc Perkel posting that prompted me to post
> however if you look back over the last 4 years, 232 threads contained
> the phrase RTFM, the number of individual posts within these 232 threads
> will put the RTFM figure much higher.
>
> This is not just a recent issue or simply a "Perkel" issue.

I know you haven't singled me out explicitly there, but just in case
anyone thinks you are, I feel that I should respond. I just grepped my
entire sent folder, which goes back to when I started using IMAP in
December 2004. I found exactly 3 other instances of the phrase RTFM
(plus one message with RTFM in a base64 encoded attachment, but that
doesn't count).

One of them was to Bill Hacker on this list, suggesting that he read
Philip's messages in the mailing list archives countering his statement
that I should RTFM about exim using TLS-on-connect as a client:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20051121/msg00042.html

The other two were meta-discussions about RTFMing, on this list and
exim-dev:

http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20050822/msg00125.html
http://www.exim.org/mail-archives/exim-dev/2005-May/msg00032.html

BTW, sorry I never did get around to making those wiki changes to the
MailingListEtiquette page.

- Marc, still sleeping soundly