Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Herb Martin
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
> I must say that this list (and most open source "support" mail lists
> or forums) are *much* more helpful at me getting my work done than
> any support I pay for. There I get some drone at a level 1 support
> who reads a canned answer from his list and often I know more about
> the product than the support guy who is trying to help me.
> Trying to
> get past these guys is impossible. And when they acknowledge a bug
> or flaw in their SW, I have to wait for the next release, often
> months away, to see if it got fixed. Anyone who tries and makes the
> claim that Open Source community and support is less useful and more
> "crap" than the commercial SW vendors are probably trying to
> sell you
> M$ and want your money.
>
> Chad

Chad, I agree with you right up to that last
comment since the Microsoft Newsgroups -- run
by Microsoft -- are probably the best support
generally available for Microsoft products.

Like this list and many others, these newsgroups
run by Microsoft provide what I generally consider
my best chance of getting quick and accurate help
on practically any subject related to Microsoft
products.

This is one of the best kept open secrets about
Microsoft products and free support. Not only
do you get some Microsoft people who (are basically
those level-1 folks) try to keep the lists pruned
of trash and make sure every legitimate message
gets SOME answer, you get the Microsoft designated
"MVP"s who are experts (in selected subjects) who
help others for free.

Full disclosure: I am one of those MVPs, but the
way you get that designation is by FIRST helping
for a good while and then being asked to participate
officially.

nntp://msnews.microsoft.com

You will also find that the people and their answers
are seldom "Microsoft bigoted" either -- of if they
are, some other expert will offer a fair and balanced
opinion.

--
Herb Martin