Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Chad Leigh
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

On Apr 23, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Herb Martin wrote:

>> I must say that this list (and most open source "support" mail lists
>> or forums) are *much* more helpful at me getting my work done than
>> any support I pay for. There I get some drone at a level 1 support
>> who reads a canned answer from his list and often I know more about
>> the product than the support guy who is trying to help me.
>> Trying to
>> get past these guys is impossible. And when they acknowledge a bug
>> or flaw in their SW, I have to wait for the next release, often
>> months away, to see if it got fixed. Anyone who tries and makes the
>> claim that Open Source community and support is less useful and more
>> "crap" than the commercial SW vendors are probably trying to
>> sell you
>> M$ and want your money.
>>
>> Chad
>
> Chad, I agree with you right up to that last
> comment since the Microsoft Newsgroups -- run
> by Microsoft -- are probably the best support
> generally available for Microsoft products.

Well, my comments were to the paid support contracts. MS newsgroups
are a form of open community and were not my target :-) And the M$
comment was specifically about these "industry" consultants putting
down Open Source -- these are the people trying to sell you M$ and
that is the only thing they know about.

WRT -- RTFM. I am not usually offended if told that unless the
person is being a jerk on purpose. In other words, I expect I should
do my part in the FM and/or Google to try and narrow my issue down
before I go and ask for help. RTFM can be insulting, but is usually
not, and here in the exim lists I have never felt abused.

best
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC