Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?

Author: Chris Lear
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Why is this list so abusive?
* W B Hacker wrote (22/04/06 19:33):
[..]

> I have a comparable archive of Courier-MTA traffic. It's a good
> list and there is a high level of expertise shared. But anyone
> interested in going there will need a much thicker skin than on
> this list.

I'm subscribed to the courier-imap list, and I must admit I find the
stock response to most questions there (roughly, "I know the answer, but
you're unworthy of it - go away") is the main reason I wish I used a
different imap server.

In contrast, exim-users is my favourite list. Partly because I really
like exim and partly, perhaps, because I'm English and we English have
an enduring respect for the Tony-Finch-style 5-word response. My
experience is that every question is weighed sensibly by a lot of
remarkably knowledgeable people, and the answers are consistently
helpful and informative. Plus, I find don't even need to ask questions,
because the archives are so good.

Chris

PS maybe there should be an appendix in the manual called "Why the
exim-users list is so abusive", so that everyone could just reply "RTFM
- Appendix F". Just an idea.