Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Marc Haber wrote:
> I disagree here. We have a fair share of users on dialup, and using
> ssmtp on a dialup line _WILL_ lose mail since ssmtp doesn't queue at
> all. ssmtp is fine for a host which has a 24/7 smarthost cluster with
> five nines of availability on the local LAN, but a queueing MTA is
> necessary for the default install.

    Quite frankly desktop machines shouldn't have SMTP servers on them at all.
 Any program sending mail should be able to handle a failure of the MTA and
act accordingly regardless of how that MTA is contacted; SMTP or
/usr/bin/sendmail.

    However, if ssmtp is not viable what about nullmailer?  It is what I use
on several installs which do not require a full blown MTA.  I rip out exim and
toss in nullmailer which in turn points to my one Exim box.  IIRC nullmailer
is queuing and works adiquately for desktop boxes.  Well, at least well enough
for my laptop machine whence this is coming.  :)