Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> I disagree. Many users feel daunted by a spec file which runs 27,000+
> lines when all they want to do is move from Sendmail to Exim. They are
> not intentionally refusing to read the documentation, just failing to
> find what you call the user-level documentation in tutorial style.

    Which Marc went on to say and you snipped.  :P

> I was using Ubuntu as a metaphor. It has been designed from the
> beginning as an easier to install and use debian. This demonstrate the
> fact that users have been left out of the equation with debian developers.

    And yet it is a very bad metaphor considering a large portion of this
thread is about how the Debianization of Exim's configuration file, which
admittedly does make it work "out of the box" for the clueless causes problems
in the long run.  The very same thing is true of Ubuntu because they pull
packages from Debian and then rename every last one to -ubuntu.  This makes
migrating from Ubuntu to Debian next to impossible just as Debian's
configuration file makes migrating from Debian's Exim does to Exim's
legitimate docs next to impossible.