Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: Jeremiah Foster
CC: exim-users, pkg-exim4-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:07:46PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
>>On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:58:08 +0200, Jeremiah Foster

[>>>> someone snipped Marc Sherman saying:]
>>> So heartwarming to read in black-and-white the deep respect developers
>>> have for users.
>> As far as I know, Marc Sherman is neither affiliated with exim nor
>> with Debian development.
> Unfortunately calling users "clueless newbies" is not an aberration.

People not wishing to read documentation, but instead preferring to waste
others' time and effort by arguing on a mailing list about how they'd like
their particular bits of the documentation to be spoonfed them can be
afforded no other or better description.

You will note, please, that the use of the term "clue" does not refer to
actual knowledge, but more to the attitude of acquiring that knowledge.

The spec file is 27,000+ lines long, because everyone wants something
slightly different out of their mail system, thus there are a multitude of
features to understand.

I also feel that just because you can get SMTP running as easily as you
can install Debian doesn't mean you should. It took a very long time to
solve the Open Relay problem, and there are yet more (with all the people
who want to provide reliable mail service on the end of their consumer DSL
lines) problems to come. With the spam problem that we face, having people
who, by their own admission, are not prepared to read the full documentation
for their MTA software, running mail systems does not seem to me to be the
best way to solve it.

Cheers

MBM

--