Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: Andreas Metzler
CC: exim-users, Marc Sherman
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
On Friday 23 September 2005 00:08, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Marc Sherman <msherman@???> wrote:

> Hello,
> Imho the "default MTA" needs to be quite feature complete. It needs
> to have a queue, and be able to deliver both remotely (at least to a
> smarthost using SMTP AUTH) and locally (for disconnected host) and

And it shouldnt be debconfized to the extent it is

I've had absolute newbies compile exim and install it, get a basic config up
and running in minutes. Using what is more or less the default configure
file (no, it doesnt get renamed "exim.conf" which is a bonus .. you dont have
to hunt for what debian calls the configuration file)

I would suggest a list of canned config files (monolithic files) for those -
default / no delivery, direct delivery, smarthost + auth etc.

Most newbies wont want to edit them when they're set. The people who want to
use and configure a real mta the real way will not gripe about a twisty
endless maze of individual config files either.

Debconf just doesnt mix well with applications that are monolithic and have
monolithic config files. Now sendmail with its sendmail.mc could lend itself
to debconfization far easier I guess.

--
linux@??? (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
jaharkes@ravel:/usr/src$ mv linux Gnu/Linux