[exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Marc Sherman <msherman@???> wrote:
[...]
> So, to summarize, my suggestion remains: something else should be the
> default MTA, targetting the people who just want mail to work, and don't
> need a fully featured MTA. My previous suggestion was ssmtp, which you
> pointed out correctly isn't appropriate. I don't know what the right
> default MTA is, but I remain convinced that it's not exim.

Hello,
Imho the "default MTA" needs to be quite feature complete. It needs
to have a queue, and be able to deliver both remotely (at least to a
smarthost using SMTP AUTH) and locally (for disconnected host) and
supporting to receive SMTP (fetchmail). I think supporting all these
features limits the choice to the "real" MTAs (courier, exim, postfix,
etc.), with the same target audience as exim.

[...]
>> Additionally, Andreas is already offering
>> "official" sarge backports of later exim4 packages. These are
>> prominently linked from the Debian exim4 web page.

> And I mentioned to the OP that the problem was solvable, if he was
> willing to do one of a number of things, including updating exim from
> backports.org (which really should link to or host Andreas' packages).

[...]

The package will move to backports.org when I've got time, Norbert has
already contacted me about it. :-)
            cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"