Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP direct…

Author: Marc Perkel
Subject: Re: [exim] Why doesn't Exim authenticate against IMAP directly?

Dave Lugo wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>>I'm using a Linuxconf based backend. Dovecot reciently added support for it.
>>

>http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/VirtualUsers
>

>Linuxconf
>
>For those of you who remember it and still use it Linuxconf had a really
>simple way of doing virtual domains. They use a passwd/shadow type file
>structure that is just like your passwd/shadow files except they had one
>for each separate domain as follows:
>
>/etc/vmail/passwd.domain1.com
>/etc/vmail/shadow.domain1.com
>/etc/vmail/passwd.domain2.com
>/etc/vmail/shadow.domain2.com
>

>Can't you check the password submitted against the shadow
>files?

Dovecot uses multiple back ends. I am using more than one. I am also
using the standard shadow/passwd files. And I am developing a third
authentication protocol that will authenticate against an external
server that I don't have direct access to.

Do you want to write an example of how I would authenticate against both
a Linuxconf and a passwd/shadow file system? I'm not convinced Exim can
do it. But a simple IMAP call could.