Re: FW: Re: [exim] Easy Disclaimers with Exim?

Autor: Odhiambo G. Washington
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: FW: Re: [exim] Easy Disclaimers with Exim?
* .|MoNK|Cucumber . <realcucumber@???> [20050713 08:41]: wrote:
> The lot of you that choose to argue and insult those that wish to use
> appended disclaimers/footers are merely wasting peoples time.

I beg to disagree. There were so many who gave positive advise, but
there are also those that were unwittingly invited to give insults
by the OP. I was particularly 'enlightened' by Philip's (Hazel) pose:

"why some organizations are so keen on e-mail disclaimers while they
do not have such on normal paper correspondence" (rephrased of course).

Initially, noone hurled epithets, but later, they seemed to come up
so easily. I will tell you one thing, and never add or remove any letter
from this text: "E-mail disclaimer texts equates to 3rd world war on
exim-users list". You better keep off it.
)

> The fact of the matter is that companies do use disclaimers/footers, and it
> was a simple question regarding if it was possible with Exim.

"If is was simple, or how to do it"?

Both questions were answered pretty exhaustively. You mean you never
got the point at all?

> The thread is not a debate on whether or not to use them, just a how-to
> question.

... and there were lots of suggestions. I remember one by Tim Jackson.

> Many major mail software companies provide disclaimer/footer ability:
>
> http://www.atmail.com
> http://www.gfi.com/mes/mesfeatures.htm
> http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/downloads/spam_firewall_outbound_mode_datasheet.pdf
> http://www.policypatrol.com/disclaimer_tips.htm

It depends on how they do it. I run @Mail (www.atmail.com) and it really
does "not" provide disclaimer per se. It adds footers to any mail sent
using the web interface. Try sending e-mail through it using SMTP and
see if you get the same. BTW, @Mail uses Exim as the SMTP server, if
you did not know it.

> E-mail disclaimer do also reduce a degree of liability by proving a company
> has acted responsibly:
> http://www.emaildisclaimers.com/#Whatare
>
> Please do not argue about whether or not you disagree with companies using
> disclaimers/footers, that is and was not the point of my initial post.

I have some scripts that I was supposed to test out adding disclaimers
with. Matt (I'll not mention his second name lest they set Al Qaeda
after him) helped me alot with them. I haven't yet given him my report
because I still have a glitch with how to run the transport filter. I'm
still scared, to be sincere ;)

If you have the will, talk to me off list. I will not in anyway stand
the war about "stupid disclaimers" - I am not strong enough. Period.

> This list should be used for technical assistance and help in accomplishing
> tasks with Exim, not to engage in childish debates.

But noone is under any obligation to assist. You better know that. In
fact, all these people know the "purpose" of this list. Make no mistake.

> I of course saw the listed method on Exim's site, but thought someone would
> know of an easier or better way to customize it even further.

E-mail is so complicated. There is no easier way, otherwise Philip could
have retired from developing Exim long ago. It's that difficulty and the
ever changing needs that has kept him on his toes, besides other
factors, of course. Thanks Philip!! We can never than you enough for
Exim.

> I've not instead purchased the Exim official book to try and find some help
> seeing that people on this list are focussed more in insults than
> assistance.

Whose problem is that though? I am sure these people feel nothing. I
have the book though, but not everything is written in the book

never rant back at these people. They feel nothing. At the end of the
day, it's you who has a problem to solve. No amount of ranting will give
you a solution.

Again, please contact me off list if you are still interested in testing
the scripts that I have.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                    . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com            . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223            . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121            . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post