Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:07:43PM -0800, Steve Lamb said:
> Matt Fretwell wrote:
> > As a general point, how long would it take you to add an entry in DNS to
> > make that a valid hostname? What reason is there not to?
>
>     Er, well, how can one set up a DNS entry for it.

>     morpheus.dmiyu.org is 192.168.0.2 on my network.  It doesn't generally see
> the outside world.  When it does it is through NAT.  So what happens when I
> put an alias to morpheus.dmiyu.org in my zone pointing to my NAT machine?  Get
> on mania.dmiyu.org (my laptop at .7) try to ping morpheus and get .1 instead
> of .2....  Whoops.

It is trivial with views in a decently competent name server. If the
requesting client is in the private zone, return the private address.
Otherwise, return the public address. I tend to do this for all machines
in a private LAN that need to speak to the outside, as it makes this
kind of issue just disappear. This is outside the scope of exim
discussions, however, so if you need assistance, contact me off list.
|  Stephen Gran                  | "...and the fully armed nuclear         |
|  steve@???             | warheads, are, of course, merely a      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | courtesy detail."                       |