Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Marc Sherman
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
[ On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 at 15:37:21 (-0500), Marc Sherman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
>
> I'd rather not change things, though. I think it's a feature that my
> outgoing mail is logged the way it is in Received headers -- if those
> headers ever get sent back to me as part of an abuse report, it tells me
> exactly where on my internal network the mail originated from. That's
> an example of the debugging purposes that, IMO, the RFC requirement is
> there for in the first place.

Well the _right_ way to leave a proper internal debugging audit trail is
to use a full SMTP gateway for your private network that adds its own
received header, perhaps also leaving the internal received header(s)
intact for even easier debugging (though the gateway's logs will still
always point the way back to the internal originator).

If it were me setting it up then that gateway would be directly on the
public internet too. Trying to put everything behind a NAT is an
extremely large amount of trouble, complexity, and resource wastage for
absolutely zero benefit.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>