Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Steve Lamb
CC: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
Matt Fretwell wrote:
> As a general point, how long would it take you to add an entry in DNS to
> make that a valid hostname? What reason is there not to?

    Er, well, how can one set up a DNS entry for it.

    morpheus.dmiyu.org is 192.168.0.2 on my network.  It doesn't generally see
the outside world.  When it does it is through NAT.  So what happens when I
put an alias to morpheus.dmiyu.org in my zone pointing to my NAT machine?  Get
on mania.dmiyu.org (my laptop at .7) try to ping morpheus and get .1 instead
of .2....  Whoops.

    'sides, ya can only have 1 reverse on an address, no?  So which reverse do
I put on my public address[1]?  teleute.dmiyu.org, the Debian box doing NAT
and other work?  morpheus.dmiyu.org, my game machine?  mania.dmiyu.org my
laptop?  Can only put one ya know.  :D

[1] And before certain people here get snarky about my reverse right now not
resolving trust me, I know. I am furious at Sprint for not adjusting their
reverse DNS. DSLExtreme does it. Pangeatech does it. Sprint, which is far
larger than both of those small companies, can't manage it. The crapper is in
the argument with support they let slip they have 400,000 IPs to manage. I
asked if that was static (doubt it) and, if so, how at $5 per IP per month
netting them $2,000,000US somehow means they can't find the manpower to do a
reverse DNS change upon request and switch it back to their generic reverse
when the customer cancels? Hell, with a budget 1/10th that I could manage it.
*shrug*