RE: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: David Brodbeck
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: RE: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
[ On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 at 17:08:51 (-0500), David Brodbeck wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)
>
> I used to try to edjumacate those people, but found it pretty fruitless.
> It's very hard to get in touch with someone who actually has the technical
> skills to fix the problem, at most sites. Even when you can, the answer is
> often something like "Well, it works everywhere else we send email to."

I don't have quite the same experience, but then again when I get some
idiot fool making claims like that I make it abundantly clear to them
that they're going to be answering not to me, but to their own
management, because I can be quite firm in showing them that it's only
their users who will suffer, not mine.

With SMTP the onus for "threading the needle" and getting the mail
delivered is always solely on the sender.

(though I do appreciate the concerns of those like yourself who work for
companies which really do want to be able to hear from as wide an
audience as possible, even if that means including all the loud-mouth
noise-generating idiots who just waste your time -- I don't agree, but I
do have an appreciation)

> The last straw for me was the Code Red Worm epidemic. I tried contacting
> the administrators of compromised IIS servers that were scanning us.

Ah, well that's a whole different ball of wax.

I find it extremely annoying when people try to contact me, in my
capacity of <abuse@> for some client, to inform me about issues like
viruses or scanners running on my (client's) network. Part of my job is
to help identify locally compromised systems and I don't need anyone
else's help to do that job properly. I get most annoyed at the ISPs in
certain European countries who feel it's their legal obligation to
inform me (i.e. someone in an entirely different legal jurisdiction).

I'm also quite capable of protecting my own networks from abuses by
compromised hosts elsewhere and I fully expect everyone else to do the
same if they care to so there's no need for me to go bugging them
either.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@???>