RE: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

Author: David Brodbeck
Subject: RE: [exim] Exim server behind NAT router (and HELO)

I used to try to edjumacate those people, but found it pretty fruitless.
It's very hard to get in touch with someone who actually has the technical
skills to fix the problem, at most sites. Even when you can, the answer is
often something like "Well, it works everywhere else we send email to." The
company I work for has a product to sell; I can't go around rejecting mail
from potential customers over an RFC holy war.

The last straw for me was the Code Red Worm epidemic. I tried contacting
the administrators of compromised IIS servers that were scanning us. I
contacted at least a dozen sites, and none of them actually fixed their
servers. At that point, I decided to move on to more productive projects.