Re: [exim] sender verify at verizon.net (sigh)

Author: Mark Nipper
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] sender verify at verizon.net (sigh)
On 22 Feb 2005, Kevin Smith wrote:
> By reducing the ident timeout to 20 seconds all seems to work.

    Because of this thread I noticed I also had a few
verizon.net messages queued and decided to "fix" things on my
end.  I dropped rfc1413_query_timeout down to 10s and the
verizon.net messages went through with no problem.

    Interestingly though, this also magically resolved
another issue I'd been having with my registrar which I had
thought was a completely different problem!  I had been getting
floods of:
---
SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=corp.easydns.com [205.210.42.42]

in my logs as they were trying to send me stuff. And after
dropping the ident timeout, their messages started flowing
through to me!

    I have been in contact with them and they said they are
using Postfix 2 on their side.  I guess Postfix gets tired of
waiting for the ident lookup to timeout and just starts spewing
data?  Anyone else run into this?  Should I bother dropping a
line with the Postfix folks telling them their SMTP server is
broken?

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
4475 Carter Creek Parkway                           nipsy@???

---begin random quote of the moment---
"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be
happy."
-- H. L. Mencken, _A Book of Burlesques_, "Sententiae", 1920
----end random quote of the moment----