RE: [exim] sender verify at verizon.net (sigh)

Author: Eli
To: 'Thomas Bushnell BSG', 'Larry Rosenman'
CC: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] sender verify at verizon.net (sigh)
Thomas wrote:
> "Larry Rosenman" <ler@???> writes:
>
> > Turning off IDENT in addtition to the no_enforce_sync seems
> to fix it for
> > me,
> > FWIW.
>
> Ah, wonderful! I owe you a beer. This does fix the problem for me.
>
> I can target the ident turnoff to only apply to verizon, but it pisses
> me off that I must weaken my spam controls in order to get around
> verizon's mis-configured spam controls.
>
> Let this be another call for exim to support per-host no-enforce-sync.

Interesting... I run 3 Exim servers which handle all SMTP and act as front
ends to about 7+ Windows systems which do POP3/IMAP (it makes me laugh every
time those systems take a nose dive, knowing the 3 Exim systems are handling
more load than any of those Windows systems see - and we keep adding more
Windows systems to deal with the demand!)... anyways, I too had some
complaints from verizon.net users saying that their relaying wasn't working.

I never bothered to check in to it *this* far, and thought it was just some
poor excuse of a blacklist that verizon.net was using. My systems don't
check ident (I don't believe) nor do I run it on the Exim servers (rather
useless really), but I do believe I noticed the out of sync errors. I never
thought to correlate it to a sender verification check since we get so much
email coming in to the systems that there are many lines of logs between
sending to the sync errors.

There's no way in hell I'm bending over to disable the sync checks in Exim.
If someone is going to employ broken servers, I'm not modifying mine just so
they don't have to learn anything. Verizon can live with their users not
getting email - and any of my clients who try to send to verizon.net will
get a simple reason from me that Verizon's servers are busted and they're
too incompetent to know how to fix it.

I'm going to send an email to verizon.net right now and see if I can get any
info from them regarding this, and how soon before they fix their servers.

Eli.