Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers

Author: Avleen Vig
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:57:10AM -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> All spammers are not equal. There are sophisticated spammer and
> unsophisticated ones. The spammers that use open relays are in the
> second category. I'm already blocking 100% in this class of spammer.And
> - if I were an open relay spammer and I could only send one message a
> minute and that message bounced - I think I would find a better open
> relay to use. So - the open relay spammers would be 100% discouraged by
> my setup. Why would the bother to crack my system when there are so make
> other open relays that are far easier?

You have a lot to learn about spam :-)
I don't mean that as an offensive remark, but simply stating that things
are not that simple.

When a spammer learns what you limit it (eg, they find you allow 1
message per minute), instead of giving up, you will probably find 10,000
machines connecting to you to send 1 message per minute.
Thus you are now allowing through 10,000 spams per minute.