Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:57:10AM -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:

> All spammers are not equal. There are sophisticated spammer and
> unsophisticated ones. The spammers that use open relays are in the
> second category. I'm already blocking 100% in this class of spammer.And
> - if I were an open relay spammer and I could only send one message a
> minute and that message bounced - I think I would find a better open
> relay to use. So - the open relay spammers would be 100% discouraged by
> my setup. Why would the bother to crack my system when there are so make
> other open relays that are far easier?

Assuming that this wasn't a troll posting, which I'm not convinced
it wasn't, you are forgetting one important point.

Having an open relay, no matter your defense, is almost assuredly
against the AUP of your ISP. If found out, you would then be in
the world of having to move from provider to provider, all the while
violating your contract with your ISP.

In the event that you were indeed compromised by spammers, you could
also potentially be liable for fees to yor provider as may be
specified in their terms of service. Judgements for these fees are
relatively easy to obtain for Internet providers, especially if there
was publically posted intent to run the open relay as described in
this thread.

Good luck to you.

--
Dean Brooks