[exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] TYhe Evolution of Spammers

Bob Branch wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>

> In a perfect world it's not too bad an idea, but as spammers get new
> tactics and learn how to defeat and hide from newer blocking
> techniques, it seems it would lose it's efficacy.
>
> Bob..

All spammers are not equal. There are sophisticated spammer and
unsophisticated ones. The spammers that use open relays are in the
second category. I'm already blocking 100% in this class of spammer.And
- if I were an open relay spammer and I could only send one message a
minute and that message bounced - I think I would find a better open
relay to use. So - the open relay spammers would be 100% discouraged by
my setup. Why would the bother to crack my system when there are so make
other open relays that are far easier?

As to new tactics - it's actually easier to catch spam these days.
Spammers try to be clever and it's their clever tricks that give them
away. i manage to catch a far higher percentage of spam than I used to.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com