Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Author: Wakko Warner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:41:31 -0500, Wakko Warner <wakko@???>
> wrote:
> >I am currently using Debian. However, I took the latest (I think it was
> >4.34) debian source package, exim 4.34, exim 4.43 and extracted to a
> >directory. Diffed exim 4.34 and 4.43 then applied that diff to the debian
> >one.
>
> Did you look in the package tracking system, or in the experimental
> distribution? Chances are that you missed a 4.4x package.

I think at the time, 4.4x wasn't there yet. It's been a while since I did
this. I keep a mirror of debian/pool (sources, i386, and all). Is
experiemental somewhere else?

> >I also removed the stupid
> >Debian-exim user in the config scripts (IMO, this is totally uncalled for.
> >What happened to simply exim or mail? I chose to use mail myself).
>
> /me hurls /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian-accountname in
> Wakko's direction
>
> >After I
> >did my own configurations,
>
> I hope you used the exim4-config-custom possibility instead of hacking
> the main exim4-config.

It didn't exist in the debian 4.34 did it? I don't have exim4-config
installed. I already had my own config when I was testing it on another
system.

> >If exim had the ability to use modules instead of being monolithic (I have
> >thought about working on this in the past and made a few statments about
> >it), we wouldn't need debian's -heavy or -light. -heavy sank my boat with
> >too many dependancies that I don't need and -light wouldn't keep my boat in
> >the water =)
>
> You are aware of the possibility to build exim4-daemon-custom?
>
> If only people would read docs, the world would be so much nicer.

I know about the daemon-custom. That's why I did it myself. I did read the
docs. But that doesn't really matter in this case, I didn't bother anyone
with the modifications I did to the package. I still disagree with the
"Debian-exim" user. But it's open source so if I don't like it, I can
taylor it my self =)

Seems like the only things on my system self compiled now are the kernel and
exim =)